I am always asked how to improve the durability of nail polish. This is actually very individual. How greasy, dry, soft or hard the nail is plays a big role first of all. And of course it always depends on the nail varnish. One nail polish tolerates thicker layers, the other thinner, so it's a case of trial and error.
Nevertheless, I have summarised a few tips for you here:
+ Clean the nails well with soap, avoid alcohol, which can lead to bubbles later in combination with the polish, then let them dry well. Buff the nails a little if necessary and polish lightly,
+ Apply a thin coat of coloured polish, wait, apply a second coat of coloured polish, this time a little thicker, wait, apply a top coat. As I said, depending on the lacquer, you have to test how thick the layers have to be and how long you actually have to wait. Important: really apply the top coat over the entire coloured lacquer, otherwise there may be edges. Do not use a top coat as a base coat and vice versa. The base coat contains holding agents and is therefore totally useless as a top coat.
+ In my opinion, time is the most important factor in manicure. Do not use your nails for at least an hour after applying the polish to tie your shoes or the like. The better the polish can really dry through and the fewer small cracks and scratches there are at the front of the nail after polishing, the longer the polish will last. You should also avoid showering or bathing after a manicure.
+ Absurd experiments with ice cubes or hair dryers to speed up the drying time of the polish unfortunately do not work! On the contrary, the polish must dry evenly, and it only does so when the solvent it contains evaporates. If you blow on the paint with a hair dryer, the top layer dries faster and seals the surface, but the one underneath remains soft. The bottom line is that the drying process takes longer and the paint can crack and chip more quickly.
+ Especially when the manicure is still fresh, you should avoid creams or cleaning agents. Some sun creams, for example, contain substances that can soften the varnish and the solvents in household cleaners can also attack the varnish.
+ In my opinion, the most common cause of pustules is residues of cleaning agents or disinfectants on the nails. The chemical reaction with the nail polish immediately leads to blisters. The combination of different manufacturers can also work wonderfully, but can also lead to problems when ingredients react with each other. The only thing that helps is a bit of trial and error until you find the perfect combination for you. Bubbles can also form if you apply too thick a coat too quickly. Or if the paint and the environment are too warm. These are all things that should be avoided anyway, so that the varnish lasts a long time and looks great.
+ Generally, lacquers should be stored standing up in a dark place at room temperature. They don't like it too warm and they don't like it too cold either. So please never put them in the fridge, it makes the varnish tough! But in summer it is often quite warm in the whole house and so the nail varnish also heats up. So you can leave it in the fridge for a while to cool down before applying the polish. Be sure to stay indoors when applying the polish and do not go out on the balcony into the sun. The heat and direct sunlight cause the solvents to evaporate much too quickly and the polish thickens immediately.